Followers

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Luster, Leaves and Lillies!


Do you like pearly or shiny things!?

If you do, then you will love the wedding cake that I did this past weekend for the Modena Wedding! Their wedding cake was a lovely 4 tiered white fondant cake adorned with stem piping and beautiful sugarpaste leaves with pearl dust and silver studs.

Here is the wedding cake before I created the floral arrangement. This cake does well standing out on its own because its soo detailed that it looks just as good without the floral arrangement! I love it very much!

The cake sizing is a 4-inch, 6-inch, 8-inch and 9 inch square tier, and is about 76 servings.
The tier flavors are:
  • Honey vanilla cake with caramel buttercream
  • Mocha cake with mocha buttercream
  • Lemon cake with lemon curd
This is a close up of the pearly luster dust on the leaves and the design.


Here is a picture of when the silver studs has been applied...so elegant! Now we get down to the nitty-gritty where I construct and create the cake below~

~~FIRST EVER~~ You get a sneak peek of my refrigerator! Showing you the storage of the cakes. As you can see the round cakes are iced in buttercream already and I have one more square tier to tort and fill at the bottom! I am slacking.... LOL :) No, actually I was taking a picture break!

*TIP*
- once you have baked your cake tiers and they have cooled to room temperature. Wrap the cake tiers with plastic wrap then store them into the fridge overnight. The cake are easier to tort and fill when the cakes are cold. Return to fridge after you have applied the buttercream crumb coat until you apply fondant.

Here is a close up of the leaf mold I used to create Sheila's cake design. You can get all sorts of really nice sugarpaste molds from Global Sugar Art!

So we start with the sugarpaste leaf application! Apply, apply and apply! I just love the pearl luster dust! Its soo pretty!


I have a new partner in cakes! My Patricia! Whenever she has free time she will come over and help me create my cakes.She's continuing to apply the leaves too! It's great to have her help! I shall train her as my apprentice ^_^ But I am far from being a Sensei...hehe :)


Patricia with our finished cake! Its our baby! Makes me soo proud :)



Tis to my signature photo where I stand with my final creation! I always get teary eyed when I must leave my lovely cake to the lovely couple. But I feel so happy that it will be enjoyed my many,hopefully :P Cheers to another cake brought to you by the Cakebee! ^_~

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Came across your site and I love your work! I'm in Fairfax too. :) I bake the occasion fondant cake for family and was just wondering how you crumb coat your cakes. My fondant always comes out lumpy and I noticed your crumb coat covers your cakes completely (whereas mine is just a pretty thin layer). Do you apply two coats or a thick layer?

Thanks!!